Joy, merriment, and indulging in holiday favourites are all hotly anticipated as the holidays approach. But burning, and inflammation are symptoms that can arise for many over the festive season.
Heartburn and reflux can be irritating or downright painful – affecting approximately 1 in 5 adults. Heartburn/ GERD occurs when stomach acid backs up into the tube that carries food from your mouth to your stomach (esophagus).
While the burning sensation after eating is a signature indication of heartburn – it can also trigger other symptoms, including:
- a burning sensation in the throat.
- pressure or acute pain behind the sternum (breastbone).
- difficulty swallowing.
- discomfort becoming more intense after lying down or bending over.
- bitter taste in the mouth – or “acidic” (sour).
- coughing or hoarseness.
Heartburn can occur to anyone, as a one-off or an incident linked to specific triggers. But certain things can contribute to the risk of frequent or chronic heartburn. Certain medications, pregnancy, smoking, body weight, sedentary lifestyle or having structural digestive issues, like hiatal hernia or weakened esophageal sphincter are all contributing factors.
Many foods and beverages around can trigger heartburn, including chocolate, citrus, peppermint, alcohol, tomato-based, fried, spicy, and fatty foods – all, very common foods, and beverages served over the holidays. Overeating, laying down after eating and wearing restrictive clothes and also lead to the uncomfortable “burn” of reflux.
Fortunately – there is relief! Herbs can help to relieve the discomfort and quench the burn!
Acidux uses a unique blend of 6 digestion-supportive herbs that help to relieve digestive discomfort from inflammatory conditions and episodes – including heartburn!
The formula features meadowsweet, an herb with anti-inflammatory properties that can soothe inflammation and has been used for centuries to relieve pain and digestive complaints.
- Meadowsweet, calendula, another antacid, anti-inflammatory herb.
- Chamomile, licorice, and ginger settle the stomach.
- Marshmallow soothes the tissues of the digestive tract in a powerful combination that helps to quench the fires of heartburn.
When these herbs come together in our certified organic, crafted herbal digestive tonic, they synergistically work to counteract acid, tone the digestive system and relieve pain from irritated tissue.
How to Take: Take 2 mL (60 drops) 3 times daily, in a little water, on an empty stomach. Acidux can also be taken after eating when symptoms flare for effective relief of discomfort.
Prevention is the best cure for heartburn. It is much simpler to prevent an attack if you can, than try to ease the discomfort. You can lower your chances of suffering an acid attack by:
- Avoiding dietary triggers and overeating
- Quitting smoking
- Maintaining a healthy fitness routine
- Wearing comfortable clothing
- Avoiding laying down directly after eating (eat at least 3 hours before bed)
- Elevating the head of your bed – get gravity on your side!
- Slowing down to eat mindfully and chew food thoroughly.
- Taking Acidux proactively, to avoid discomfort from heartburn as a targeted herbal formula specifically formulated for soothing acid reflux.
Support overall digestive health!
Contrary to popular belief, inadequate stomach acid production is often responsible for heartburn – not too much, and antacids can just exacerbate the issue. When there isn’t ample stomach acid, food is slower to break down and can sometimes back-up into the esophagus, causing “heartburn”. Bitters can help trigger the healthy production of stomach acid to sufficiently break down food and have been said to help tone the muscles at the bottom of the esophagus, discouraging reflux.
Our line of Canadian Bitters® work to prompt the digestive system to work at its strongest to avoid uncomfortable symptoms of indigestion – including gas and bloating – and function optimally on an ongoing basis!
Check out our complete line of Digestion Support formulas here.
Learn more about herbal digestion support and how you can make merry with your favourite holiday foods. Indulge Joyfully, with Herbal Digestive Support
*Please Note – persistent heartburn can be indicative of a more serious underlying condition. Please see a medical professional if symptoms persist or become increasingly uncomfortable.